We provide solutions for all aspects of the increasingly complicated relationship between businesses and their employees. Our employment law services run the gamut, from counseling on human resources issues, to drafting agreements and policies, to training supervisors and employees, to investigating workplace misconduct. One of our strengths is our litigation and negotiation experience. We know how the problems our clients face as employers play out in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. This unique perspective allows us to strike the balance any business needs: thorough, thoughtful, and aggressive representation that is also practical, result-oriented, and cost-effective.
Human Resources Counseling
We answer the day-to-day human resources questions that confront most businesses. Our goal is to ensure compliance with current legal requirements and provide strategies aimed at reducing the likelihood of litigation and minimizing exposure in the event of a claim. Examples of the issues we can help with include:
- Hiring, performance management, discipline and discharge consultation and risk analysis
- Employee handbook development and implementation
- Wage and hour compliance/audits
- Sexual harassment and discrimination prevention
- Social media, computer/email usage, and employee privacy policies
- Disparate impact analysis for reductions in force
- Separation agreements and releases
- Family and medical leave compliance
- Disability and religious accommodation
- Drafting and analysis of non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements
- Classification of employees as exempt or non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Independent contractor analysis
- WARN Act analysis for mass layoff or plant closing
- Affirmative Action plans
- HIPAA compliance
Employment Law Transactional Support
We provide employers who are engaged in business transactions with the support they need on employment law-related issues from due diligence to conclusion. We analyze the potential employment law-related liabilities and advise businesses on how they can eliminate or minimize them. We develop plans for merger-related job and facilities consolidations. In addition, in counseling businesses on various human resources issues, we frequently prepare job descriptions, offer letters, applications, employment agreements, commission/incentive plans, separation/severance agreements, and confidentiality and non-competition/non-solicitation agreements.
Training for Supervisors/Employees
We offer training for managers and non-managers on topics including the prevention of sexual harassment and discrimination, workplace diversity, performance management, and employer/employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Over the years, we have trained thousands of private and public sector supervisors and employees on these and other employment law topics.
We investigate suspected workplace misconduct, including allegations of fraud/theft, complaints of sexual harassment and retaliation, and claims of systemic age, sex, or disability discrimination.